The Kitronik Deluxe Rear Bike Light Kit is easy to build kit and is an excellent way to learn about the very popular 555 timer IC. The kit uses four ultra bright LEDs that can be operated in two modes; constant and flashing.
A key design aim of the kit was that it should conform to all relevant British Standard measures. Both the flash rate and brightness conform to British Standards for vehicle road lighting (2005), making it ideal for use as a rear bike light. Alternatively, it can be used as a night safety product or flashing eyes.
During testing we connected the kit to 3 x AAA batteries and ran it continuously. At 80 hours of continuous use the LEDs were still lit at full brightness. After 107 hours, although still lit, the brightness had dropped below the level at which you would want to use them. So, we estimate that with brand new batteries you could comfortably run the light for 2 hours of daily commuting for at least an entire month with the LEDs still at full brightness.
- An easy to build rear bike light project that conforms to British Standards for vehicle road lighting (2005) for both brightness and flash rate.
- Learn about the very popular 555 timer IC.
- The kit features 4 x bright LEDs.
- It has two operating modes; continuous and flashing.
- Its compact design makes it the ideal choice for designing custom enclosures.
- 4 x Red 5mm Water Clear LED - 30deg - 9500mCd.
- 1 x On-Off-On Slide Switch.
- 1 x Capacitor, Electrolytic, 50V, 1uF.
- 1 x Capacitor, Ceramic, 50V, 10nF.
- 1 x 220K Resistor.
- 2 x 1K Resistor.
- 4 x 100R Resistor.
- 1 x BAT41 Signal Diode.
- 1 x 2N7000 N Channel FET.
- 1 x IC Socket 8 Pin.
- 1 x NE555 Timer IC.
- 1 x (3 x AAA) Battery Holder with pre-tinned flying leads.
- 1 x Deluxe Rear Bike Light PCB.
- PCB Length: 52.6mm.
- PCB Width: 37.6mm.
- PCB Thickness: 1.6mm.